Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a tenant?

If you are interested in renting one of Bentwood Properties vacant units, all adults 18 years and older who will occupy the unit will be required to submit an application and application fee. Once your tenancy has been approved, all applicants 18 years and older will be required to sign the lease. The Security Deposit will be due before the lease signing. The lease is a legally binding document so please read over it carefully.

What is the Resident Qualifying Criteria?

  1. A separate lease application must be completed, dated and signed by each applicant (anyone over the age of 18 who will be living in the dwelling).
  2. Please be sure all information needed to verify rental history, employment history, criminal history and credit history is provided on the signed application.
  3. Employment and monthly income must be verifiable.
  4. Applicants who are first time prospective residents and do not meet the gross monthly income requirement in paragraph 2 have the option to have the lease guaranteed by a guarantor if all other criteria are met. The guarantor must complete and sign a lease guaranty agreement. Only a relative or employer may guarantee the lease. The guarantor must remain for the duration of occupancy in the unit.
  5. Applicant(s) may be denied occupancy for the following reasons including, but not limited to:
    • Falsification of application by any applicant
    • Insufficient income
    • Conviction for crimes committed by an applicant or by other occupants (including children) who plan to live in unit for:
      • Drug manufacturing or distribution
      • Crimes which have made an applicant subject to lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program: criminal conduct that indicates a demonstrable risk to residents safety and/or property, including murder, rape sexual assault, molestation, assault, battery, arson, terrorism, burglary, and theft.
      • Poor rental history of any applicant
      • Non-payment or habitual late payment of rent
      • Eviction
      • Unsanitary housekeeping
      • Poor supervision of applicant’s children
      • If you owe money to a rental facility, please do not apply. We will not consider your application.

We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or familial status.

How much is the application fee?

There is a non refundable $45 application fee for all persons over the age of 18 that will be living in the dwelling.

When is rent due?

Rent is due on the first of each month. You may pay in person or by mail, 601 Lake Air Drive, Waco, TX. 76710. There is a secure drop box located by our front door for after-hours payments. Payments left in the box prior to the start of our normal business day will be considered received as of the business day prior. Rent can also be paid online at under the “Tenant” tab. You must request an account number and must have an email address on file. Rent is considered late if not received by the first of the month. Please see your lease for specific late fee amounts.

Where do I pay rent?

You may pay in person or by mail, 601 Lake Air Drive, Waco, TX. 76710. There is a secure drop box located by our front door for after-hours payments. Rent can also be paid online at under the “Tenant” tab. You must request an account number and must have an email address on file.


How do I request maintenance?

Per your TAA Lease Agreement, all repair requests must be submitted in writing to or can be dropped off at 601 Lake Air Dr., or submitted online at using the “Tenants” tab. Be specific in what the problem is and include the address of the unit. If you have a maintenance emergency after hours, please call us at (254) 307-7368.

What should I do if there is an emergency?

In case of fire or medical emergency, please dial 911. Other non-life threatening property emergencies may be reported to our office at (254) 307-7368.

Will I be notified before Maintenance enters my unit?

If you have requested maintenance on your unit, we will make every effort to take care of the situation promptly. In many cases, we will try to contact you to let you know when maintenance will be arriving. Please be sure to leave any keyless deadbolts unlocked so our maintenance staff can access the unit.

What if I am unable to pay my rent on time?

If your rent is not received when it is due, generally by the first of each month, you will be served a legal notice to pay your rent or vacate the property. If rent is not received by the time the notice expires, and you do not leave, you will be subject to eviction proceedings. This is part of your lease agreement, which is a legal document voluntarily signed by you.

What do I do if I am locked out of my unit?

Contact our office at (254) 307-7368. There is a $50 fee for us to unlock your unit.

What happens if I lose my key?

Contact our office at (254) 307-7368 to arrange to pick up a new key. There is a $10 fee for a new key and tenant must show photo ID.

Will I be reimbursed for repairs that I make on my own?

No. Paint and other alterations to the property are prohibited without written consent.

What if I want to share the unit with a roommate? How do rent payments work?

Yes, you can have a roommate, however, all adult occupants must fill out a lease application, pay the $45 application fee, be approved for tenancy, and sign the lease agreement. In a roommate situation, each person who has signed the lease agreement is responsible for the entire rent amount, regardless of how you may have split the cost between you.

What do I do if my roommate moves out, but I stay?

If a roommate moves out, the remaining roommate is still responsible for the entire rent amount. You may substitute a new roommate, but that person will need to fill out a rental application and is subject to approval. The security deposit is only refunded when the entire unit is vacant. No partial refund is given when one roommate moves out. If you and your roommate do not get along, Bentwood Properties is not obliged to intercede.

How do I get my security deposit back after I move out?

Generally, if you leave the unit in a clean, damage-free condition and return all keys and garage remotes, you will get your security deposit back. Please include a forwarding address with your 30-day move-out notice.

Can my security deposit be used for my last month of rent?

No. The security deposit cannot be used as the last month’s rent. Security deposits are held as monies paid to the owner if there is any damage caused beyond normal wear and tear.

Can I install cable or a satellite dish?

You may install cable service in units wired for cable. If your unit is not wired for cable you will need to receive permission from the management company. Satellite dishes are not permitted without permission from the management company with an extra fee charge. Satellite dishes may not be attached to the property.

Can I make a change to my unit such as paint or flooring?

No. Paint and other alterations to the property are prohibited without written consent. Any maintenance orders should be sent to or submitted online at  Bentwood Properties under the “Tenants” tab.

How long can visitors stay at my unit?

After 5 days, a visitor is considered a permanent resident. If you have extenuating circumstances such as medical issues please contact our office.

Can I let additional people move in?

If you plan on having a roommate who is not currently on your lease, please contact our office at (254)307-7368.

What do I do if my neighbor is disturbing the peace?

In the event you have a neighbor causing obnoxious disturbance(s) please call the police department to intercede on your behalf. Additionally, please notify Bentwood Properties in writing of any such occurrences so we may be aware of any lease violations or defaults.